13/08/2015

Review: World After - Susan Ee

Hi!
I got a copy of this book via Netgalley for free in an exchange for an honest review, so here's my review of this book!
Thank you Amazon Children's Publishing (Skyscape)!
P.S. Sorry to all of my portuguese viewers, but once I finish this series I will record a video talking about the books!

Title: World After
Writer: Susan Ee
Published by: Skyscape
Pages: 314

Summary: In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.
When a group of people capture Penryn's sister, Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.
Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.
Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?

Penryn & the End of Days Series:
Book 1 - Angelfall
Book 2 - World After
Book 3 - End of Days

Buy the book here
P.S. This review contains a lot of spoilers!

After reading the first book of this trilogy I wanted to jump right into this next one because 'Angelfall' was amazing!
And I was really excited to see what would happen to Penryn and Raffe in this book, but I'm sorry to say that even though I enjoyed it, 'World After' didn't amazed me as much as 'Angelfall'.

The first thing that I have to point out is the fact that the first half of this book was so slow paced and not that interesting. Maybe it was because Raffe wasn't there to make me laugh and maybe that was Susan Ee's point: make us realize how Penryn would interact without Raffe.
In any case, I didn't like it.
And when Raffe and Penryn met again, the book took a completely different speed and it was so rushed, like everything was happening so much faster until the book ended!
I didn't like the contrast between the first half of the book and the second half of the book, and I think it would been better if it was in the contrary: the first half faster and the second half slower.

With that being said, I really liked this book!
It was so much darker and intense than the first one and that's not a bad thing at all.
The things that we discover were so different from what I was expecting! It seems like Susan Ee's imagination doesn't know how to stop or when to stop creating a plot that's completely bizarre but also open-mouthed!

I loved seeing how heartbroken Raffe became after Penryn supposedly died, it was so cute and sad because he was trying to continue living his life but he couldn't do it without her.
And once again, Penryn proved to be a badass that can definitely take care of herself and really liked it seeing that happen, even though I preferred if she had Raffe by her side

The moment that they saw each other, at the party, was breathtaking and in my imagination, that was one of those moments that seems to take forever but in reality was only 5 seconds.
And the moments after that were really cute too and it was so good to see them working and fighting together again!

The all Paige situation was really strange but also sad because she doesn't have any fault of what happened to her and although she eats human flesh, she really tries to maintain control of her body and to help her big sister.
That last scene in the book was really refreshing and it gave me hope that maybe Penryn and Raffe can actually win this battle and help all human race.

I'm so excited to read the end of this amazing trilogy and see what will happen mainly to Penryn and Raffe, but also to all of the other characters! If 'End of Days' turns out to be as good as 'Angelfall' (or even 'World After' second half) this trilogy can be one of my favorites of 2015!


So because of the problems I've mentioned in the beginning of this review I decided to only give this book 4 stars on Goodreads! It could had been better, like 'Angelfall' was but this time around I had to take one star out!

This was my completely honest opinion and I hope you liked it!
Bye, Ana.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário